Saturday, June 24, 2006

June 24th??

Where did the last week go? Man, this summer is flying by. A quick recap of the last week...

We had a change of plans last weekend. Neil, Alex and I took off at 9 pm for Iowa. We decided we'd drive at night, stay in a hotel and then meet my parents and the kids at the reunion. That way we'd be able to drive home on Sunday and I wouldn't have to do the drive alone on Monday. Sounds like a good plan, right? Wrong! Huge soccer tournament in Cedar Falls so there wasn't a single room to be had.

It's situations like this where you learn something about yourself. We were driving around the city looking for hotels. It was 1.30 in the morning and we'd been turned away from at least 3 hotels already. We see a sign for a motel for $39 a night a few blocks ahead. As we approach, we both say that we're pretty sure we don't want to stay in a room that only costs $39. Once we get to the motel, we both KNOW we don't want to stay in a $39 room. Desparate is sleeping in your car, not a $39 motel. LOL

The kids have adjusted pretty well to the chore charts. Some resistance, surprisingly mostly from Emma, but all in all, it seems to be working. Andy likes the competition part of it. Basically, they have a list of chores, each worth one point. There are also discretionary points that we can give for good listening, extra helping, etc. And like Hogwarts (Harry Potter's school, which is why I think Andy likes this so much), if they do something naughty, they lose points. At the end of the day, they need to have earned 10 points or they can't watch TV the next day. It's pretty simple, but I'm hoping in a couple of weeks, it will be second nature to all of us.

We had a playdate yesterday with our new neighbors. Three girls ranging from almost 5 to 4 months. They all had fun on the playset and slip and slide, and I really enjoyed chatting with the mom. It's nice to hang out with someone who also has 3 kids and understands the good and bad of that. LOL

Last night I went to a photography class at Studio D. It's a four week Intro to Digital SLRs. It was pretty much all a review for me, but I did get to meet Jen Caputo in person so that was cool. I commented on her blog a couple of weeks ago and through email realized we'd both be in this class. She's as nice as she is talented. It looks like the next three classes will be more informative so I'm looking forward to them.

This morning was the Digital Crop with Heather Ann. What a sweetheart she is! It was fun to see so many screen personas in person. LOL We learned a little, scrapped a bit and talked a lot! Not a bad Saturday morning!

While I was scrapping, Neil took the kids to the first day of swimming lessons. Emma's class is 9.45-10.30 and Andy's is 10.15-10.45. Alex went along for the ride and was his usual good sport. Emma did well, but she's so much more comfortable in the water so I wasn't worried about her. Andy, on the other hand, really had me concerned. Anytime he's been at a pool, he's been pretty scared. But, he actually loved it today! They started out in shallow water and he waded all the way up to his chin. Of course it was only shoulder depth on all the other kids. I can't figure out how he can be so short.

I'm off to do some more tutorials in Photoshop. All this creative time this morning really has me itching to create!

Have a good weekend.

1 Comments:

Blogger Heather Melzer said...

It was SO great meeting you, Robyn! I can't believe we're practically neighbors! Hope you see you again soon :)

9:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home