Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Say it isn't so

Entries two days in a row? No way.

It seems that having 2 kids out of the house greatly increases my productivity. I've been a cleaning, organizing fool all morning and still managed to read a bunch of blogs and spend some quality time with the baby. I'm sure this energy and zest for cleaning will come to a screeching halt next week upon their return, but at least now I have proven that I can do it, it's just that the kids prevent me. Yeah, that's the ticket.

Anyway, my cleaning ladies are due here any minute so I had to get the house in order. Drives my husband nuts that I clean for the cleaners, but I can't help myself. I don't expect them to pick up our clutter; I want them to scrub the toilets. I figure they'll do a better job at the real cleaning if they don't have to spend time putting away toys or laundry.

I'm doing a great little challenge over at scrappindeals. It's ab0ut making time for yourself and doing things that make you happy. I love the challenge and I'm meeting some great women, but I have to say, it's not as difficult for me as it's been in the past. I've learned that by spending a little time each day---even 15 minutes---is enough to keep me going. When I first had Emma, and then Andy, I didn't do this. I tried so hard to be Super Mom and Super Wife and my world came crashing down around me. I had post-partum depression pretty badly and by ignoring my own needs, it made it worse. I was never suicidal, just really, really apathetic about everything. Once I got it under control, I realized how important my health and sanity is for the entire family.

I often get asked (sometimes rather accusitorily) "How do you find time to scrap/photograph/paint/whatever with three kids?" My favorite response is, "I make time. I need this time for myself. Spending a little quality time on me makes me a much better Mom so it works well for all of us."

Some people get it, some don't. I'm not saying I neglect my kids. In fact, more often than not, I include them in my art projects. Emma and Andy both love to be creative so we'll all sit down together and each work on our projects. It's really instilling a love of art in them (which I think is totally cool) and it lets us do something we all enjoy.

So back to my cleaners (see this all really did tie together), having someone do all of the deep cleaning for me every other Tuesday gives me more time to think about me. It gives me more time to spend with the kids. And it gives all of us more time to spend together on the weekends. There are many, many things I would give up before I gave up the cleaners. It may sound selfish, but really, it's about taking care of my family in the best way possible.

And now I'm off to organize the toy room. Because strangely, organizing makes me happy too. LOL

Try to make some time for yourself today too.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it's great that you have a "hobby/interest" (whatever). It's important to make time for ourselves. I'm still learning that.

And thanks for commenting today :)

12:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha! I ALWAYS clean before the maids come. Otherwise I have to ask myself...hmmm...where would a pack of psychotics put up my daughters favorite drinking cup? Oh, of course...under the since with the chemicals.

7:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home